Sunday, July 18, 2010

halibut cheeks escabeche

When it's this hot and humid, I feel like something cold, refreshing, citrusy. Decided on escabeche. I was about to get some halibut at my local fish shop, when I saw that they had a bowlful of what looked like bits and pieces, labeled halibut cheeks. OK, obviously I have to try this.

I prepared the vegetables using my mandoline, and they looked almost too beautiful to cook.


 

Slice thinly and saute lightly in olive oil until barely transparent
  • red onion
  • red bell pepper
  • green bell pepper
  • garlic
  • carrots
Then add
  • juice of one lemon
  • juice of one orange
  • salt and pepper
Quickly saute in olive oil the halibut cheeks, or whatever seafood is going to be the main ingredient in your escabeche.

Put the cooked fish in a bowl, pour the 'pickled' vegetables onto it, cover and refrigerate overnight. Have it for lunch the next day.


Absolutely delicious. Did I taste the specialness of halibut cheeks? Nope. But hey, it had to be tried.

EDIT: The halibut cheeks led to massive unintentional cleansing. I should have trusted my nose. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment