Thursday, March 10, 2011

chicken spinach crepes

Why oh why oh why did I learn how to make bechamel?  Now I can't stop...  And so I'm not alone in this, here's how to make delicious and not-so-good-for-you crepes.


First the crepes:
3 eggs
1 c. flour
a pinch of salt
enough milk to make the batter the right consistency

That may not seem like an accurate measurement, but it's the one my mama gave me, and I'm prety sure the one her mama used before her.  The right consistency is much more liquid than pancake batter, and a little bit more liquid than you think it should be.  How's that for precise.  This batch yielded 6 crepes.


Then the filling:
4 chicken breast filets sauteed and sliced

and separately:
4 strips of bacon, browned and crumbled
1 red onion diced and sauteed
a handful of mushrooms, diced and sauteed
and a ridiculous amount of fresh spinach, sauteed with everything else until it magically shrinks before your eyes to just barely enough.

And of course, the bechamel, to which I added a healthy does of smoked spanish paprika and a handful of grated emmental:
4 Tbs flour
4 Tbs melted butter
3 c. hot milk
salt to taste


Now you just load each crepe up with the chicken, the spinach mixture, and the bechamel, roll them up and top the whole thing off with some more grated cheese, and into the oven they go!

1 comment: