Sunday, April 29, 2012

skinning trick

Yesterday Husband asked what I wanted to do today,  I answered, without hesitation, "Learn something".  I surprised even myself.


So today, after a mega kitchen-cleaning, I tackled two brand new (to me) recipes.  The actual results will come later on this week once I've had a chance to go through the zillions of photos I took through the process (learning photography while learning to cook: super fun, but ridiculously time-consuming), but I thought I'd share a quick tip that helped me today.


I actually learned this trick from my dad years ago, and while I haven't needed it in at least a decade, it came to me today in a flash, and I was so glad to have remembered.  Some of you may already know this, but on the off chance you don't, I thought I'd share.  If you ever buy raw hazelnuts instead of roasted ones (by accident, as in my case, or on purpose, for some reason which I cannot fathom), pop them in the oven on a tray.


When the hazelnuts come out of the oven, and the skin is all crackly, toss them in the folds of a damp cloth and roll them around in there.  The dried skin will just flake off and stick to the fabric, and you will be left with beautiful delicious naked hazelnuts.


Magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment